Background HTML

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Worry Stones

I use worry stones with numerous students throughout the school year. The concept is that if you rub the worry stone in your hand then it will help your worries go away. I also love it because they students physically have something in their hand which helps with fidgeting as well!

I used to make all of my worry stones at home and then bring them into school. However, last year I had an epiphany and have had the students help make them! The kids love it because they made it themselves so it holds even more value to them. I have also had students in my friendship lunch bunches help me make them this year because they just think it is a fun craft and they get to play with the clay. Some students have really become quite creative with their designs!

I prefer to use Fimo Soft and Soft Effect Clay. I purchase the clay at my local Michael's Store and when it goes on sale for 4 for $5 I stock up. You can even get your teacher discount in addition to the sale price! 

Below are step-by-step photo directions to make your own worry stones. 


Step 1: Pull off a small amount of 2-3 colors of clay.
Step 2: Push the clay together to form a ball.
Step 3: Roll and twist the clay in your hand to make a 'snake'.


Step 4: Either take your 'snake' and smoosh it together (yes that is the technical term!) or coil it.



Step 5: Roll it into a ball.
Step 6: Press your thumb into the ball until you have an indentation that you can rub your thumb in.

Once you have made several worry stones you need to bake them at 230 degrees for 30 minutes. I bake them in foil pans so there is absolutely no clean up.


     
Pin It

22 comments:

  1. I used to buy worry stones when my parents would take us on vacation. I can't wait to make these for some of my worrisome kiddos at school. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so glad to hear you will be able to use these worry stones with your kids at school! My students all LOVE them!!

      Delete
  2. Yeah! Thanks so much! I love your site...creativity and school counseling; two of my favorite things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just made these! So excited to show them to a particular student and make them together at school! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya,
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog! I hope your students love the Worry Stones as much as my students do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheryl, Do you know approx how many stones, three packages of clay makes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi - I am sorry but I am not sure exactly how many worry stones you can make with 3 packages of clay because I have never actually counted. You can definitely make a good number of worry stones though! Sorry I wish I could answer your question better.
    - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a private practice therapist (LCSW-C), and I have a 4 year old client who is suffering from extreme anxiety, and I found your worry stones on Pinterest--now I can't stop stalking your entire blog. What a little treasure! Even though I'm not a school counselor, there is a ton on here that relates to my work in private practice. Thanks so much for putting this together. WONDERFUL resources!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just made the worry stones and I know the kids will love them. I wasn't able to find the FIMO clay where I live, but the regular oven baking clay worked wonderfully! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure my son would love these.. but they'd go right in his mouth. How 'chew-able' are they? We may just make them to have some fun, great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - I wouldn't recommend using them for your son if he will put them in his mouth for safety reasons. Maybe when he is a bit older!
      Cheryl

      Delete
  10. What a great idea! I will definitely do this in therapy sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing this!I'm just a mom searching to help my daughter and this will be so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a student (almost counselor) I am excited to have found your blog! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Question about these....I am thinking of making them with CD or ADHD kids. Is it a bad idea to give them something they can throw? Any other small fidget ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - I use them with students who have ADHD all the time. I just reinforce (with all students) how they are supposed to be used and what the expectations are.

      Delete
  14. Hi, I am a school-based mental health therapist, and I was so excited to find this post! I have made some worry stones with my students. I just wanted to add that I found it helpful to have the child set an intention for the stone as we were making them (i.e., "this stone will soak up my worries"). Thanks so much for the super helpful blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used this activity to demostrate the rock cycle. The kids LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this activity but am a visual learner! Your pictures are no longer displaying. Could you please repost them? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry about that, I am not sure what happened. I have corrected the issue with the pictures. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! We are going to make these in our upcoming conquering kindergarten group!

      Delete