Background HTML

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I Like Myself

I am always trying to intertwine self-esteem lessons into my groups and one of the favorite lessons with my 2nd graders a few years ago was based off of the book I Like Myself! by Karen Beaumont

We read the book together as a group and had some discussion throughout. At this point all of the kids are in a happy and silly mood because of the fun nature of this book! I then told the students that we are making our OWN I Like Myself book! I worked with each student to write a few sentences for their individual pages of our book focusing on what they like about themselves. While I was working with students individually the other students either worked on illustrations for their individual pages or on our book cover. I typed the student pages for them and they chose the fonts and colors to personalize their pages even more.

We also made up our own poem that each student created based off of the prompt below. (I can't remember at this point where I found this but I believe it came from another book. Once I remember I will post that information!) I included each students poem at the end of the groups I Like Myself book.
1st line: first name
2nd line: 3 adjectives about themselves
3rd line: Who loves ...
4th line: Who feels ...
5th line: Who needs ...
6th line: Who fears ...
7th line: Who gives ...
8th line: Who would like to see ...
9th line: Resident of ...
10th line: Last name

Once the pages were printed and the students illustrated them I brought them to my local Staples Copy and Print Center and the staff helped me turn all of the students' work into our very own book! I spoke with the parents of the students in my group and gave them the option of purchasing a color copy of our book (only a few dollars) otherwise I sent home a black and white copy with each students to remember this special project.







Creating the book as a group took several group meeting times however, it was completely worth it! It is still one of my favorite lessons to this day! :)

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Love love love it. I have begun few 2nd and 3rd grade groups to wrap up the school year. Great for boys and girls alike. This will be a perfect culminating project.
    Thanks Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carol! I did it with both boys and girls and I think they enjoyed it equally. I hope your students enjoy it as much as we did! I would love to see pictures when you are done!

      Delete