Background HTML

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Self-Esteem Self Portaits



http://www.marcoproducts.com/girlsk5cd.html
I tend to run a lot of girls groups or self-esteem groups throughout the school year. I generally try to gear the groups towards the girls interest, so if they are into art, drawing or coloring I always do my Self-Portrait activity. This lesson comes from the book Girls in Real Life Situations (G.I.R.L.S.) Grades K-5 that also comes with a CD for the printables.


During this activity I tell the girls we are going to make a self-portrait, but we are not actually going to draw ourselves. Instead, we are going to draw all the things that make us who we are such as your favorite things, your interests, your personality - everything that makes you YOU! This activity generally takes 2-3 group meetings. During the first group time I brainstorm with each girl individually, although the others generally help by sharing positive attributes about each other. Once the girls have a list of things they are gong to draw I get out the colored pencils, markers and crayons and let the girls go at it!

As you can see from mine, I drew the sports logos for my local sports teams because I am a huge sports fan. I also drew the beach down at the bottom because that is where I like to spend time reading during the summer.  I drew a paint palette because I like to paint, do arts and crafts and design. I also drew a school (well attempted to at least!) and an ear for being a good listener. I drew a smiling face because I love to laugh and interact with people, a person running and some shoes. I tell the girls that I would prefer if they use as little words as possible when creating their masterpiece. 

Once the girls are done I mount their Self-Portraits on construction paper and I have them present their drawing to the other group members. I like to have them explain the background or importance of each one of their symbols or drawings.

This activity also works for boys, but I find it is usually one of the girls favorites. I have done this lesson with girls in grades 3 through 6, however it will also work for students in other grade levels.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment