Background HTML

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Board Games ... Part 1

So I know board games are not the most creative thing in the world for me to blog about, but let's be honest kids love them so I use them at school frequently to teach different skills! So I thought I would do a mini-series of blog posts about some of my favorite board games that I use with students. I would just like to preface this with a side-note that as with everything I and you use in your office things need to be modified and adapted to fit your needs, nothing is perfect! I am not reviewing these board games in any particular order, instead I chose Blunders because I just played it on Friday afternoon at school!
Current version of the game

Blunders is a board game about manners and is based on the family the Blunder's, Billy, Brenda, Bobby and Becky Blunder to be specific! I assign each student a member of the Blunder family as their playing piece (there is a little booklet in the game that tells you some background on each of the 4 kids, as well as their age) and ask them to find start. As the students travel through the game board I pose them with questions from 3 different categories: Home, Dine and Play depending on the spot they land on. The questions are either multiple choice, scenario or charades. I sometimes give the multiple choice options to my students depending on whether or not I think they could answer the question on their own. I do tend to always share the multiple choice options afterwards though because there tends to always be one option that is very funny/off the wall that makes the students laugh!

The Dine cards sometimes use some of the Table Setting Cards (fork, spoon, knife, main course plate, glass, etc.) to help teach students proper manners for setting the table. Although, this is not something they need to do in school I think it is always helpful to expose students to it because let's be honest it is not something we always use on a regular basis these days. Don't worry they provide an example of a 'proper' table setting for you to refer to in case you forget some of the answers too!

I think the most helpful part of this game are the charade questions because the students need to act out the situations they are provided. Some of the ones that stand out in my mind are answering the door at home and greeting someone and answering the phone at home when/if mom or dad is not available (in the shower I think is the example on the card). Although these may seem very basic to you I find they are not and that is why these 2 stand out in my mind because students tend to struggle with some of these concepts! It is always most helpful and interesting when students need to act something out instead of verbally just telling you an answer!
This is an older version of the game board that I own and use. Purple spaces are Dine questions, Orange are Home questions and Green are Play questions. 

According to the Patch Products website the board game focuses on the following:

  • Table Manners
  • Host and Guest Skills
  • Confident Introductions
  • Respect and Kindness
  • Telephone Manners
  • School Etiquette
  • Electronic Etiquette (this is not in my version, but once again I have an older version of this game. I think this is a great addition though!)
  • Honesty and Responsibility


     One of the best parts about this game is the price!! It retails for $24.99 and I have even seen it as low as $19.99; but either way that is so much lower than many of the other games that I use in my office that are easily $50.

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. It is so great to hear people making counseling fun like this for children. There are occasions where it is so important that a child gets the counseling he or she needs. The meetings can go so much smoother if the child has a good experience. http://www.livinghopeclinic.org/index.php/about-us

    ReplyDelete