Background HTML

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Pin the Tongue on the Josh

I love all of Julia Cook's books, they are just awesome! I recently read A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue with my upper elementary boys during summer camp. In this book Josh, who is a perpetual tattler, develops a case of Tattle Tongue in which his tongue gets longer and longer and becomes yellow with purple spots! The Tattle Prince teaches him about tattling and reporting and he is soon able to get rid of his Tattle Tongue and make friends at school too!

We then played a game I called "Pin the Tongue on the Josh!". I came up with this idea from a lesson in Youth Light's Classroom Guidance Games called Pin the Face on the Tattle. However, I decided to make it more directly related to the book we all just read. So I copied 2 faces of Josh out of the Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Activity Book and colored them in. I then hand drew some tongues and colored some in yellow with purple spots and others in pink or red. 



For the game I read the situation cards from the Youth Light activity and the students had to decide if the scenario was tattling or reporting and choose the appropriate tongue. I then blindfolded them and spun them around a couple times and they needed to find the appropriate Josh to pin the tongue on. I would always tell them that the tattle tongue is on the left and regular or reporting tongue is on the left.


I also had the students complete this FREE worksheet I found on TpT from Bringing Back MayBerry. The students had to recall a tattling scenario from the book and draw it and then draw a tattling situation that happens in school.

The kids loved this activity so much we did it for 3 group meetings!!! I LOVED it too, such fun and they were still learning about the differences between tattling and reporting.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment